Saturday 30 January 2010

Newton Abounds - Sat 30/1

Just spent the last couple of days messing around with the Newton, simply because I hadn't tried any new software out for a while. This quickly turned into the Newt becoming the email client of choice - until the iPad broke it (but more of that later). Recent try outs include

BackDrop Plus - just for a wee change from Avi's Backdrop, although I'm liking the dock buttons
Stationary Construction Kit - for designing some custom stationary for a rack audit/rewire job
Writer's Calc - this cunning thing lets you write a calculation out, then have Assist work out the answer.

Have been very impressed with the support from Stand Alone Software-they issued an incorrect code for SCK and supplied a correct code within 15 minutes of my email.

So the Newt was all set to be the email client of choice until the iPad was launched - then, the sheer volume of emails on NewtonTalk simply swamped the poor wee beastie! Have to admit to being somewhat underwhelmed by the iPad so far - I suspect I'll have to wait to try one, but I suspect also that it'll be a few revisions before it becomes really interesting to me. I'm not minded to drop 500 pounds or so on a device On the possibility of what it *might* become.

To other things... went to an excellent "Scottish Night" (kind of like a Burns Night but without a couple of the formalities). Was lotsa fun, even when yours truly was used as a prop for the reading/performance of Tam O'Shanter!

Have almost got the MGB back into running trim - however I suspect the alternator is not sending charge back to the batteries as the car eventually runs to a stop having drained the booster battery flat. Now I simply have to work out how to get the bonnet to open, make sure the multiplug is properly attached and all should be well (crosses fingers!)

No comments: